The folks at the Daily Kos just commissioned a poll of 2,000 self-identifying Republicans by independent polling firm Research 2000. I think you’ll find the results enlightening. Here’s a sample:
• Over a third of Republicans believe the birth control pill is abortion (which explains why nearly a third of them want contraceptive use outlawed).
• 68% of Republicans believe or are not sure if Obama should be impeached (39% believe Obama should be impeached, 29% are not sure).
• 58% of Republicans don’t believe or are not sure if Obama was born in the United States (36% believe Obama was not born in the United States, 22% are not sure, 42% think he is a legitimate citizen).
• 63% of Republicans think that Obama is a socialist. Another 16% aren’t sure.
• 64% of Republicans believe or are not sure if Obama, to quote Glenn Beck, is a “Racist who hates White people” (31% believe Obama is a “Racist”, 33% were not sure, 36% said he was not a racist.).
• 57% of Republicans believe or are not sure if Obama wants “the terrorists to win” (24% of believe Obama wants “the terrorists to win,” 33% aren’t sure, 43% said he did not want the terrorists to win).
• 76% of Republicans believe or are not sure if ACORN stole the 2008 election (21% of them believe ACORN stole the 2008 election, 55% are not sure, 24% said they did not steal the election.)
• 77% believe that public school students should be taught that the book of Genesis in the Bible explains how God created the world?
• 42% of Republicans believe or are not sure if their state should secede from the United States (23% believe that their state should secede from the United States, 19% aren’t sure, 58% said no.)
• 53% of Republicans said they believe Sarah Palin is more qualified to be president than Barack Obama.
This, my friends, I’m sure I don’t have to tell you, is some truly terrifying shit. The folks on the other side aren’t just wrong – they’re crazy.