When running for Michigan Supreme Court, it helps to have a sister who’s a famous actress

I’ve received letters from three people today, each asking that I share the following advertisement for the campaign of Michigan Supreme Court candidate Bridget Mary McCormack, featuring the reunited cast of the West Wing.

I rarely find myself feeling sympathy for Republicans, but, really, how can anyone running in a state-wide election be expected to counter an ad featuring the likes of Martin Sheen, playing the President? McCormack may well have won anyway, as she’s a popular associate dean at the University of Michigan Law School, but now that her famous sister, and her well known friends, are involved, it’s hard to imagine that she won’t crush her competition… McCormack’s sister, for those of you who don’t already know, is actress Mary McCormack, who played Deputy National Security Adviser Kate Harper on the last three seasons of the West Wing.

This entry was posted in Michigan, Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Deborah
        Posted September 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

While I too rarely sympathize with Republicans, I do find it a bit much to push so hard. Ms. McCormack is an excellent candidate but would be even more of an excellent candidate if those resources were used to support other Democrats who are on the ticket for judicial campaigns and don’t have her support network.

2. EOS
        Posted September 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

It’s a real crisis! Having taught the Dem party members to pull the “D” lever, now they’re going to have to learn to read the whole ballot. Hilarious.

Posted September 21, 2012 at 5:52 am | Permalink

Deborah,

Your comment reminds me of an email I received a few days ago directing me to contact John Dingell and ask that he give some of his money to other Democratic candidates who are in tighter races and could really use the funds.

4. Posted September 21, 2012 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Justice Markman has been an absolute disaster on the court. Between, nepotism and general lack of any type of judicial decorum and his disdain for established precedent he has been responsible for most of the bad decisions made by this court. He is a political hack who is a willing instrument of the mega-wealthy. If you are an insurance company you love him. If you want to undermine your neighbors property rights because your a multi-national bottling company, gas facking company etc,who wants the resources under your land he is your go to guy. And if you have the misfortune to have been the victim of medical malpractice, well that is too bad, you should have made better choices. It is time for Michigan voters in a non-partisan manner to send this guy packing.

5. Meta
        Posted September 21, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Your friend Chris Savage interviewed McCormack a few days ago.

6. K2
        Posted September 21, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Is anyone even running against Dingell?

7. Posted September 22, 2012 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Cynthia Kallgren won the Republican nomination for the new 12th District, beating out Karen Jacobson of Dearborn in the Republican primary. As I understand it, Kallgren graduated from EMU with a degree in special education and has run a small business of some kind in Trenton. I don’t know how serious of a threat she is to Dingell, though, as I hear very little about her. In fact, according to what I see online, it looks as though Dingell is refusing to debate her, which says to me that he doesn’t see the need. I have no idea how much each candidate has raised. I would imagine, though, that Dingell is sitting on a lot more money than she is.

Posted September 24, 2012 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Don’t just vote for McCormack. Also vote for Judge Connie Kelley and Judge Shelia Johnson.

9. Meta
        Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

I like this political ad by Steve Martin better.