What a difference a generation makes…

I didn’t think I’d live to see the day when a television ad for a Republican candidate started with the phrase, “I am not a witch.” Sure, I kew it would happen eventually, but I didn’t think that I’d live to see it.

Now, if we could just get Obama to record some, “I am not Hitler” spots.

Seriously, what the fuck has happened to the Republican party? In just one generation they’ve gone from Reagan’s Morning in America to “Vote for Me – I’m not a witch.” One wonders where we’ll be in another generation, if we even make it that far.

This entry was posted in Media, Observations, Other, Politics and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

No comments yet? You people disappoint me.

2. Ken
        Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Witches can control your mind.
        And they wear all black.

3. dragon
        Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Double intruder, oil and stubble
        Fire burn, and cauldron bubble

4. Tim
        Posted October 4, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Is a “double intruder” a sex toy?

5. Tim
        Posted October 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Why, yes, Tim, it most certainly is!

6. Knox
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 6:04 am | Permalink

“Ladies and gentlemen, I know it looked as though I was feasting on a roasted human baby during the televised debate with my opponent. Nothing could be further from the truth. I detest their succulent flesh, and would never do such a thing publicly, as they are quite greasy.”

7. Peter Larson
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 6:51 am | Permalink

What happened to the Republican Party? They figured out how to win by appealing to the everyday, American moron.

I guarantee that the next 100 years of American politics will be dominated by the Republicans. I seriously doubt that the Democrats will ever have control of anything ever again. They will lose the House in 2010, and lose the Admin in 2012, and both will be to complete batshit morons like O’Donnell.

8. Kristin
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 7:27 am | Permalink

I like that she is wearing a dark dress and that there is some sort of primevil goo swirling in the background. Shouldn’t there be a green lawn and a golden retriever cavorting around behind her?

9. Oliva
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 7:34 am | Permalink

I thought the same thing, Kristin. And she sure is not me or anyone I know and love. The highly polished simplicity of her bogus message was no doubt crafted by FreedomWorks. I think there’s subliminal messaging going on, too, designed to make those who see through this ruse lose their marbles.

10. Kim
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:05 am | Permalink

She plays the victim card very well, like Sarah Palin. “See how they attack me for my beliefs? I’m just like you. I may not be smart by their elitist standards, but I know right from wrong… blah, blah, blah.” And people eat that shit up.

11. Larry Seven Larry
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Can someone add a crazy witch’s cackle at the end?

12. Steve Swan
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

If she fails at politics, I’d love to see her in an adult version of Bewitched. It would be better that The Wire.

13. Dylan
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Don’t you all the think that the disturbing part of this message is not so much “I am not a witch,” as it is “I am you!” Ordinariness is not a virtue.

14. Oliva
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Larry Seven Larry, someone did a remake of the ad that you might appreciate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7n7g4_J30A

15. Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Oliva. That’s brilliant.

16. Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

And, for what it’s worth, Steve, there already appears to be an adult version of Bewitched.

17. Carcass Rock
        Posted October 5, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Is ordinariness a virtue?
        That could depend on where you are from.
        She has the sweetest little, fat smile.
        I wouldn’t vote for her, but she would definitely be somebody I would sit down and have a beer with. I like her.
        yuyuyu

18. Robert
        Posted October 6, 2010 at 10:52 am | Permalink

She’s me? What am I doing running for the US Senate seat in Delaware? I can’t even vote for myself.

Posted October 6, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

If she’s me, that means she spent a great deal of last night doing something to herself that should be illegal.

20. BrianB
        Posted October 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

She turned me into a Newt!

21. Mr. Phelps
        Posted October 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

The thing is, even if she fails as this, she’ll still have a career. These religious fundamentalists eat this stuff up. She’ll get a book deal, and go on speaking tours, hitting all the small towns that can’t afford Palin, talking about the evil liberal elitists who hate her for being one of them – real Americans.

22. Oliva
        Posted October 6, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

What a difference a generation makes in the U.S. flag realm too. I remember driving in the South back when and seeing a low-riding old car with a flag bumper sticker. Even in the South, it stuck out like a sore thumb–it was some old guy driving all by his lonesome. Nowadays you can’t not see a U.S. flag everywhere you turn. (Ypsi itself could be nicknamed Flagville for all the red-white-and-blue banners. I remember NYC after 9/11 and all those U.S. flags in apartment windows.) Anyway, there was a sweeter, less show-me-your-”patriotism” time not so very long ago. And there were a number of U.S. senators and representatives to admire (and still plenty to loathe, of course–Helms leaps to mind).

Now we are really dealing with Jim DeMint as “kingmaker”? Ugh. Gross. Ridiculous. (I had hoped that some sleuth would find his or Joe “You Lie” Wilson’s fingerprints all over the Alvin Greene primary election win. Maybe it’s coming? But in this gone-crazy climate that might elevate their status?)

23. Posted October 6, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

That bitch ain’t me.
        Btw, I could make a really crude comment about that pearl necklace around her neck, but I won’t. I will, however, send you here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne3XojNonEU

24. Lionel Richie, Jr.
        Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Hey, there. I thought about the pearl necklace and resisted the crude comment first.
        But you are right, I would like to give her one, too.

Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Is there a name like “pearl necklace” for a pooping across someone’s neck? If so, I’d prefer to give her one of those.

26. Laff a Lympics
        Posted October 9, 2010 at 3:43 am | Permalink

You could call it a “Frothy O’Donnell”

27. Posted October 9, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

I wanna make a video and state that I am not a hermaphrodite. Then run for office.

28. Posted October 9, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Teacher Patti, every time I read one of your posts I think of “Tuck and Patti”

29. Von Trapp
        Posted October 9, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

The poo across the neck could be called a “Black and Tan”.

30. Posted October 10, 2010 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Isn’t everyone on TV me? If they’re not me, who are they?