does anyone know eugene kang?

I guess I’m hopelessly out of the loop, but I didn’t realize, until looking at the New York Times photo essay right now on “Obama’s People,” that his “Special Assistant,” is a 24 year old Ann Arbor native and U-M grad, who, in 2005, ran for City Council and lost by fewer than 100 votes. Steve Rapundalo won that race, and now has the distinction of worrying about urban chickens and the like. And the man he defeated, Eugene Kang, now has an office in the White House. It’s funny how things play out.

I seem to recall having read about Kang at the time he ran for City Council — I believe on the old Ann Arbor is Overrated site — but I don’t remember the details. Chances are it had something to do with the “you can’t have couches on your porch because terrorists might set them on fire” ordinance that was then being so fiercely debated. Kang, I’m guessing, was pro-porch-couch-terror. Anyway, it would appear as though he’s done pretty well for himself now.

Congratulations, Eugene Kang. You did good.

Oh, and according to Obama, Kang has “game.”

[When I was 24, by comparrison, I was the evening kitchen manager at Seva.]

This entry was posted in Other. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. egnb
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Why is Kang Eugene everywhere else, but Stephen on your blog?

2. Internet Reference Desk
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 11:17 am | Permalink

He made a mistake and then edited the post. But by then, of course, it’s too late. The internet never forgets.

3. Paw
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Before entering the University of Michigan, Kang attended the Greenhills School, a pricey private school in Ann Arbor. My guess is that now it might get a little pricier.

4. auntie ypsilanti
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 11:24 am | Permalink

ha, this is a funny one. I knew Eugene years ago. We both worked at Barton Hills together and then on the Dingell campaign. He is a wonderful guy and a really hard worker.

5. ol' e cross
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Okay Mark, we get it, when you were 24 you were all ready in management while this poor fellow can only find work as a caddy/personal assistant. Just because he’s not as successful as you were at that age doesn’t mean you have to rub it in his face with all those sarcastic “nice job Eugene” jabs.

6. Posted January 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I met Eugene when he ran for Council — seemed like a very nice and earnest guy — but didn’t get to know him well.

Another young Michigan grad that is close to Obama is former Michigan Daily photographer David Katz who has been close to the Obama camp since before the famous convention speech. He got some attention earlier this year for his series of photos he took of the Obama’s behind the scenes before his acceptance speech, which he posted to Flickr.

7. ytown
    Posted January 20, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

He is a very good tennis player.

8. tim
    Posted January 22, 2009 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Here’s a story about his 2005 Ann Arbor City Council run.

9. Jordan Miller
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I went to high school with him. Well, actually, he was 4 years behind me, but Greenhills is tiny an everyone knows each other. I seem to remember him being a ridiculously good tennis player. Whatever it is, I didn’t know any of this stuff about him until I was, admittedly, reading Gawker’s Hotties of the Obama Administration tonight.

Then I google him and you come up.

Now, somehow, this will end up on that Radio Free UBU guy’s website and he will make fun of me and the whole thing will come full circle.

10. mark
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

See, that’s why you have to read my site every day, Jordan. It’s no excuse that you aren’t reporting for the Ann Arbor News anymore. You still need to do my bidding. My nefarious plans for Michigan depend upon you.