On the possibility that David Lynch will return to television and rapture us into pop culture heaven

When I said on New Year’s Eve that I had the sense that something better was on the horizon, I was lying.

Fearful that a significant number of you might take your lives while watching Ryan Seacrest usher in the new year, I decided to scrap the article that I’d been working on… which was an in-depth treatise on how little there is to live for in modern America… and instead write a vacuous little fluff piece about how, despite all the recent setbacks, things were finally beginning to turn in our favor. Good things, I said, are right around the corner.

Well, it looks like I may not have been that far off after all. I know it’s just an internet rumor at this point, but, according to an anonymous source, Twin Peaks might be coming back for a third season after a 20-year hiatus!

[A larger version of this anonymous post, written by someone who claims to have been in a meeting with David Lynch and NBC executives, can be found here.]

According to the source, the third season, which would be set in today’s Twin Peaks, and include most of the original characters, would center around a female news reporter trying to unravel the secrets of the town, and the events leading up to the arrest of the possessed Dale Cooper for murder.

I know it’s likely bullshit, but it’s good to have something to live for again.

This entry was posted in Art and Culture, Pop Culture and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 2, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Linette just laughed at me for thinking that this could even be a remote possibility.

Posted January 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

If the government were smart, they’d make this happen ASAP. Between the new Arrested Development and a Twin Peaks season three, the hipster elite behind the Occupy movement would be decimated.

3. Kristin
        Posted January 2, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

If Linette is jaded it’s over for all of us.

Posted January 2, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

The evil of Twin Peaks looks tame compared to the evil of today.

5. Posted January 3, 2013 at 1:11 am | Permalink

I just hope that he doesn’t bring back “The Angriest Dog in the World.”

6. Knox
        Posted January 3, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I like the idea that David Lynch coming back to prime time television is what will bring the rapture. I’m picturing all of us Lynch fans happily floating up from our couches in unison as all of those left behind are left to gnash their teeth in a lake of fire.

7. Meta
        Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:19 am | Permalink

From Uproxx.com:

For what it’s worth, David Lynch hasn’t announced his next film project yet, but he has been very involved with TV the past year or two, including his memorable guest appearance on Louie, where he basically turned his Twin Peaks character Gordon Cole into a network executive, and a recurring role on The Cleveland Show as Gus the Bartender. Plus, for all you conspiracy theorists out there, Twin Peaks was added to Hulu, which was partially developed by NBCUniversal Television Group, the same day as Lynch’s supposed meeting with NBC.

Read more:

8. Chris
        Posted January 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

4chan…

OP will surely deliver.

9. Bob
        Posted January 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

His guest spot on those episodes of Louie was just about the best thing he ever did.

10. Mr. X
        Posted January 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I haven’t seen his Louie episodes, but how could they be any better than this?

Or this?

11. Bob
        Posted January 3, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I think Lost Highway is dreadful. Most of his stuff hasn’t aged very well to me. Eraserhead is the exception. That film is a gem.

12. Mr. X
        Posted January 3, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I don’t care much for Lost Highway either. I just wanted to share that link.

13. Bob
        Posted April 16, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

There really does seem to be movement in the right direction on this.