Mothman lives on, scares ten people per mile

While it’s been almost five years now since the world lost John Keel, his legacy apparently lives on. I just received the following from my friend Jeff. This is the work of his 8 year old son Sam.

Mothman2

[If you've never read Keel's The Mothman Prophecies, there's no time like the present.]

This entry was posted in Other, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

This looks to be more moth than man. A much less formidable foe.

2. Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:39 am | Permalink

I wonder if he’s eating poor people. If so, he might be welcome in Ypsilanti.

Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:46 am | Permalink

I think he’d make quite a formidable opponent as he could eat your clothes.

4. Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Nice Mothman art! I maintain a website about John Keel, if anyone’s interested: johnkeel.com.

5. 734
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Do me a favor and don’t be a douche, Peter. Just because people in our community are debating a development project does not mean that we don’t like the poor or care about them. If you want to criticize look at Ann Arbor and their affordable housing stock, campaigns against panhandlers and treatment of the homeless.

6. Meta
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I never thought that I’d have an opportunity to share this image of a moth’s wing under an electron microscope. It’s really incredible.

7. K2
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Cricketwoman is scarier.

8. Mr. X
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Mothman is no match for Rocketcat!

Also, thank you for the site, Doug. I especially like reading Keel’s old mail from the 60s.

9. Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

“Do me a favor and don’t be a douche, Peter. Just because people in our community are debating a development project does not mean that we don’t like the poor or care about them.”

It’s the nature of the debate that I’m interested in. It’s pretty clear from comments on this site and elsewhere that there certainly are people in Ypsilanti who don’t like poor people or at least don’t like the idea of poor people living in Ypsilanti.

Honestly, I find it incredibly disappointing.

10. Elf
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I’ll see your rocketcat and raise you a batbomb.

11. Mr. Y
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Depends on if the moth man is fully laden. That’s how I’d respond.

12. Mr. Y
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

The reference, for those born in this century:

13. Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Meta, that is super cool!! Thanks for sharing.

14. Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Is this at all related to that horrible Mothman Prophecies movie?! (I know I could Google it but I trust you people more than I do Google). You will not steer me wrong.

15. Posted March 6, 2014 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

The movie was based, very loosely, on the book. The book is better. John was, however, amused to see himself portrayed by Richard Gere.

16. Elliott
        Posted March 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

What about the headwinds? What if, as he advances, he makes his way into areas where people aren’t so easily terrified? What if, encountering militia members, he has to fly higher, making it less likely for him to be seen? So many variables to consider.

17. Posted March 7, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I thought many of the the comments on various sites regarding the Water Street housing issue to be mostly beyond “douchy.” (It’s interesting that one is called a “douche” for calling out classist and racist commentary from a community where it just shouldn’t exist.).

However, I think there’s worse. I’m thinking that the Mothman should fly to Detroit and turn the entire city into party animal houses.

18. Posted March 7, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Also,

“If you want to criticize look at Ann Arbor and their affordable housing stock, campaigns against panhandlers and treatment of the homeless.”

This is interesting. So classist and racist behavior in Ann Arbor somehow justifies classist and racist behavior in Ypsi?

This is schoolyard commentary, like when kids get busted for doing something bad and point to some other kid and yell that his behavior is worse.

I’m pretty sure that there are worse places to be poor than in Ann Arbor. Does policy in those places which treats poor people unfairly justify policy which treats the poor unfairly in Ann Arbor?

I don’t really understand the logic here. Well, I do, but consider it a really, really fucked up and twisted logic.

This “debate” which mostly seems consist of mealy mouthed claims that poor people (the poorest of which don’t even seem to qualify to live in the proposed development) are going to bring Ypsi to the brink of ruin has been incredibly revealing, in the worst way imaginable.

Ann Arbor is known to be hypocritical in dealing with the poor and homeless. Ypsi (well, outside of the township) is known to be mostly welcoming. It appears this isn’t the case at all, which I find incredibly disappointing, particularly since I expect that many people don’t even realize the implications of what they’re talking about.

Posted March 7, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

If Peter Larson offends and alienates 10 people with each comment, and he leaves three comments per day, how many people does Peter Larson offend and alienate in a week?

20. Mark Lee
        Posted March 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Sorry.Peter Larson is the most interesting person on this site.

21. Posted March 8, 2014 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Doug, thanks! I am going to read the book because the movie…that was just so not good.

22. Posted March 8, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Well, the movie wasn’t all bad, because it brought John some money when he was old and sick and broke. But it has nothing to do with the book he wrote, which is rich, scary, strange, silly, and trashy.