More disgusting, politically-motivated misinformation about the death of Ambassador Chris Stevens in Benghazi

Someone I went to high school with posted an absolutely horrific photo on Facebook today of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens being dragged naked through the streets of Benghazi and tortured with a cattle prod after being set on fire and repeatedly raped. I hesitate to share it here, as it’s so graphic, but I feel as though people need to know the truth… which, of course, is that Ambassador Stevens was never raped, or tortured in the streets of Bengazi.

Stevens was, as all of us who bothered to read the actual reports know, carried by Libyan civilians to the Benghazi Medical Centre in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attack on the American consulate. He, as we all know, died from the injuries he sustained, but his body was not desecrated, and he was neither raped nor tortured. (Speaking of the attack, murder charges were filed yesterday against Ahmed Abu Khattala, the prominent Benghazi militia leader thought to be responsible.)

Here’s the image that my friend shared with me today, followed, a bit later, by the actual image of Stevens being carried to the hospital… You’ll notice that my friend was just one of 9,516 to share the image, and the associated text.

notstevens3

I would love to focus 100% of my anger directly on those individuals responsible for this attack, but I find it difficult when so many of my fellow Americans have chosen to add insult to injury by grabbing ahold of this terrible tragedy and using it to further their own political agendas. As you can clearly see in the text accompanying the image, the point of sharing this isn’t to mourn the tragic passing of a dedicated public servant, but to see our President weakened by it. “If ANYTHING is going to take Obama down, IT IS THIS!!”, the author says. But, as I said above, it’s not real… not that reality matters anymore.

A quick Tineye search of the image has turned up several instances in which the photo in question appeared on the web in 2009 and 2010. I’ve been translating sites for the past half hour or so, and I still can’t find a definitive source, but I don’t imagine it really matters, seeing as how its existence prior to 2012 alone proves that it couldn’t be Stevens. (This same image has been used to illustrate articles about Spanish war crimes, Argentinian war crime, and the activities of the CIA in the Middle East.)

BenghaziStevensHere, by way of context, is an excerpt from a post I wrote about Benghazi in November of last year. (The image to the right, by the way, is of the real Chris Stevens being dragged to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.)

…Based on the evidence, I think it’s safe to say that this is nothing more than a disgraceful attempt to capitalize on tragedy.

Let’s start with the fact that, contrary to what the Republicans in Congress would have you believe, American embassies and consulates are attacked quite frequently. During the Bush administration, for instance, seven American embassies were attacked. These attacks took place in Saudi Arabia (2004), Uzbekistan (2004), and Athens (2007), among other places. The bloodiest attacks took place in Karachi, Pakistan, where ten people were killed and fifty-one were injured in 2002, and in Yemen, where ten people lost their lives in 2008. To my knowledge, none of the people now calling for a formal investigation into what happened in Benghazi so much raised a single question about Bush’s role relative to embassy security in the wake of any of these attacks.

To be honest, I can’t even recall the Republicans being this aggressive in response to the 9/11 attacks on our country, in which 2,996 individuals were murdered. And, in that case, we actually had solid evidence demonstrating that the President had disregarded warnings of an imminent attack on American soil. I mean, among other things, the man was actually handed a national security briefing document by a CIA official on August 6, 2001 entitled Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US, and yet, by all accounts, did nothing. But, yet it’s the Benghazi attack that has Republicans talking about impeachment. I can’t be the only one that finds that a little odd, right?

If any of you doubt what this is really about, I’d encourage you to look into the actions of Senator John McCain this morning. After days of demanding that a special select committee be formed to investigate what happened in Bengazi, and making the case that it’s critically important that we understand exactly what happened, John McCain chose to skip a closed-door briefing about the deadly Benghazi attack this morning, opting instead to go on television, demanding immediate answers. And, when the irony of this was pointed out to him, he wasn’t happy….

But this isn’t anything new. The Republicans, who apparently have no shame whatsoever, have been attempting to politicize the deaths of these four Americans since the night of the attack, when Romney violated his pledge not to make partisan comments on the anniversary of 9/11, called a press conference, and proceeded to lie to the American people, saying that “the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.” It wasn’t true then, and it wasn’t true several weeks later, when, during the second presidential debate, Romney went back to the issue, claiming falsely that Obama had failed to call the attack an act of terrorism, only to be fact-checked in real time. And it’s certainly not true now… This was a horrific event, and we should mourn the loss of the four American men who died there that night, while serving their country, not use their deaths to further our own political agendas…

While I reached out to my old friend, and let her know that the image that she’s sharing isn’t of Stevens, I wonder about the other 9,515 people who’ve shared it thus far. Is anyone telling them? And I wonder why it is that my friend still hasn’t removed it from her page. And maybe that’s the more troubling thing… the fact that someone, knowing that it couldn’t possibly be Stevens, would still keep it up. My guess, and I’d have to ask her, is that she still thinks, somehow, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that it could be him. That’s how strong the narrative being pushed by the right has become. As with the Obama birth certificate story, they’ve decided to go all in on Benghazi, knowing that, after a solid year of continuously blowing smoke, there are going to be a certain number of people who, regardless of what evidence they’re shown, will believe that there’s fire. And that’s why, almost a year after these tragic events, we’re confronted by a huge number of people who honestly believe that Obama was somehow responsible for the deaths of these three Americans… or, worse yet, maybe even had a hand in planning it. Sadly, that’s the world we live in today.

And the truly terrible thing is that all of this nonsense is distracting us from what we should be doing… which is coming together in order to bring the men responsible for theses deaths in Benghazi to justice, and demonstrating to the people of the world that we’re a nation governed by laws, and not by paranoid delusions delivered by way of social media.

This entry was posted in Other, Politics, Rants, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Robert
        Posted August 7, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I didn’t read your comments. As soon as I saw the title, I knew you were drinking the Obama Cool-aid and I would only be risking getting brainwashed by your words if I read them. Nice try though.

Posted August 8, 2013 at 8:08 am | Permalink

These people have no fucking shame. I doubt very seriously whether the original poster is even a real person. This kind of thing is reprehensible.

3. EOS
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Those damn Republicans. How did they brainwash Mark’s progressive friend into posting their doctored photos on her Facebook page?

Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

When did Mark say that his friend was progressive? Judging from what he’s conveyed in this post, I’d say she’s a Tea Partier like you, EOS.

5. Robert
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:11 am | Permalink

EOS must have ESP, because he knows Mark’s friend is progressive. You may have noticed, he picks up a lot of details through his ESP that the rest of us aren’t sensitive enough to ascertain.

Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:13 am | Permalink

I read through the last Benghazi conversation that took place here, and found EOS’s explanation as to why the President should be held accountable.

EOS: “This administration attempted to deceive the American people, and the rest of the world, into thinking that something other than extremist muslims were responsible. This administration left American citizens abroad in jeopardy, without sending in troops or seal teams, because they felt it would be politically advantageous.”

Neither of these things is true. Obama said from the beginning that this was an act of terrorism, and troops could not be sent to the consulate for several well documented reasons.

Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

More on why troops couldn’t be sent to quell the attack.

The following is from Robert Gates, who served under both Obama and President George W. Bush as defense secretary.

full story:

excerpt:

“We don’t have a ready force standing by in the Middle East — despite all the turmoil that’s going on, with planes on strip alert, troops ready to deploy at a moment’s notice. And so getting somebody there in a timely way — would have been very difficult, if not impossible.”

Republicans have harshly criticized the Obama administration’s military response to the Benghazi attack. In recent days, they have been championing the suggestions of Gregory Hicks, the former deputy chief of mission for the U.S. in Libya, who testified before a House committee last week.

Hicks said he was furious that the administration did not send in a team of Special Forces or fly a fighter jet over Benghazi to intimidate the attackers.

Gates did not single out Hicks by name on Sunday, but he mocked those sorts of suggestions, saying they painted “a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces.”

“And frankly, I’ve heard, ‘Well, why didn’t you just fly a fighter jet over and try and scare ‘em with the noise or something?’ Well, given the number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from Qaddafi’s arsenals, I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft — over Benghazi under those circumstances,” he said.

“And with respect to — sending in special forces or a small group of people to try and provide help, based on everything I have read, people really didn’t know what was going on in Benghazi contemporaneously,” Gates added. “And to send some small number of special forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, I think, would have been very dangerous.”

8. Robert
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

I agree with EOS. The Obama Administration deliberately left the embassy vulnerable so that 4 Americans would die. What he didn’t count on is that the GOP would notice and hold him accountable, sort of like the X-Men would.

9. EOS
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Anon,

We gave the surface to air missiles to Libyan rebels in an attempt to help them overthrow Qaddafi. More than 30 CIA operatives were at the consulate and its annex at the time of the attack. They were attempting to buy back the missiles and ship them through Turkey to the rebels in Syria to assist them in overthrowing Assad. Americans were left to die because the CIA did not want exposure of its covert activities. And we wonder why they hate us.

10. Robert
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Oh EOS, now you’re trying to blame the CIA for what Obama did?

11. EOS
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

No, I blame Obama for what the CIA did.

12. Sparklemotion
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

I think all the Libya talk is pretty much a smokescreen for the left, whose President has continued if not expanded the worst policies of GWB. Of course, the bitching is much more subdued now that the left’s man us in power. Someone died. Whoopie doo. That’s what terrorists do. Now eroding civil liberties at an accelerating pace? Thats something terrorists could only dream of.

13. Megan
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I just love how 20+ people died at embassies under Bush’s watch and Republicans didn’t seem to give a shit about them. But with a Democrat in office??? Oh boy!!! Let’s blow everything out of proportion for the sole purpose of winning the White House back so that we can go back to not caring who dies.

14. Randy Milgrom
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Great piece, Mark. You work hard on this stuff and I, for one, appreciate it.

Anonymous — why do you post anonymously?

15. Randy Milgrom
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

In fact, why is everyone on this thread posting anonymously?

Posted August 8, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Don’t take it personally, Randy. It’s an Internet thing. I just think it’s best to leave as little trace of my existence as possible. But I’m not the only one who posts here under this handle. There’s at least one other, and maybe more. They may have different reasons for not wanting to be know. Or, maybe Anonymous is their actual name. I suppose that’s possible.

17. Maria
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

That first picture looks like the a picture released many years ago where the Marine in Somalia was ambushed in the city, along time ago.. I think there was a movie made about that event.

18. Randy Milgrom
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Would you be interested in talking to me further about this offline for a story I’m writing about internet anonymity?

Posted August 8, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I’m commenting anonymously because I’m a dog.

20. Randy Milgrom
        Posted August 8, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Why would you say it’s an internet thing? How so? And why would you want to leave as little trace of yourself as possible? What would be wrong with making yourself known?

21. Robert
        Posted August 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Randy, there is an ongoing investigation to determine the identity of the person who posts here as EOS. We can use some extra help if you’re interested.

22. EOS
        Posted August 12, 2013 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Because Robert is obsessed. He might start stalking me in person, or worse. Of all the anonymous posters, he has offered a reward for only one. To what end?

23. Randy Milgrom
        Posted August 12, 2013 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Robert — Will you please contact me by email?

24. Robert
        Posted August 12, 2013 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Oh, EOS, I started stalking you a long time ago. “Obsessed” would be a dramatic understatement.

25. jimbo for reason
        Posted August 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

4 people killed by terrorists on Obama’s watch: impeach the MF brother!

nearly 3000 killed by terrorists under president Cheney and VP Bush: pass

26. Don
        Posted August 18, 2013 at 9:32 am | Permalink

I hope someone will show the picture of the Ambassador being torture when Hillary the witch is doing a speech or even better during one of the debates when she runs for the White House, with a caption saying “It doesn’t Matter” yeah right, tell,it to his family

27. Zimmerman
        Posted August 19, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

You are just as bad as the rest by stating unknowns as truths. Right now, however, the facts are mounting up that the ambassador was indeed found alive and tortured. Putting this photo aside, there are many articles written in the middle east that support this as well as inconsistencies when photos have been evaluated by the experts. Since his autopsy is kept under lock and key by our administration it will continue to fuel the search for the truth. Americans will never believe Obama because he has lied so many times. He lied while grandstanding in front of Ambassador Stevens casket. I hope you are enjoying that cool aid. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/stevens.asp

28. Posted August 20, 2013 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Thanks for giving us the facts – amazing how much ‘damage’ (as intended by the propaganda) a viral post can do.

29. Zimmerman
        Posted August 20, 2013 at 10:15 am | Permalink

@Sue. If you are deeming this article as the facts, you are sadly mistaken. Fact finding should not be an article that does not reference any of their research. If you actually do some research yourself, you will uncover that the United States government has not released Ambassador Stevens autopsy. Fact is Stevens was removed alive then was delivered dead to the hospital. If you look up congressional hearings following the days of the attack, you will hear congressman talking about his torture. Those are the facts. The main street media will not put this on TV because they are protecting the anointed one. There are photos of the ambassador being drug through the streets and articles in the middle east talking about his torture. You like the author of this article continue to drink the cool aid.

30. Goffery
        Posted August 20, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Sources?! How exactly did you back or prove anything you just claimed? You have alot in common with the Ostrich, and i agree with the first poster. Your hiding hole is certainly flooded with the drink.

31. John Galt
        Posted August 20, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

He was alive when he made it to the hospital. He then died. The cause is clear. Raped to death. It’s the only explanation possible.

32. Posted August 20, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Once again the Liberals want to use their favorite dodge to avoid the truth that is “well something worse happened under Bush” When are you going to quit blaming the man he has been out of office for 6 years. When is Osama Obama going to step up and take responsibility for what happens on his watch. Who gave the order to the response troops to stand down and why? Don’t give me the crap about they couldn’t get there in time. The attack lasted for 7 hours. Why was the lie about this being a demonstration that got out of control still being spread by the administration 10 days afterwards when they knew from the start it was an Al Quita attack. Why did it take so long to get Hillary to the witness stand. I don’t buy the crap about the concussion etc. The bitch has been dizzy for years. and lastly please explain the “what difference does it make” remark by her dizziness, I’ll tell you what difference it makes 4 Americans died and nobody in the current administration gives a damn because they can’t get any political boost from it. Where is the openness promised by Obama in his campaign speeches. How the hell you liberals can keep supporting this traitor I will never know

33. Kelly Kafir
        Posted August 21, 2013 at 1:39 am | Permalink

To quote your future DNC nominee, “What difference, at this point, does it make?” (Add your own screeching voice to this.) This blog, which, BTW is NOT a good source and ONLY an apparent Demoncrat’s opinion to protect his Messiah and his crew from the responsibility they had to protect these guys. Aviano was close enough to send in help!!! We know that Obama’s puppet master Valerie Jarret gave the order to stand down! THIS IS DERELICTION OF DUTY AND OBAMA CANNOT BLAME BUSH FOR THIS!

34. steve davis
        Posted August 21, 2013 at 6:45 am | Permalink

any way you libs spin this the fact is they were not protected by the OBAMA administration!!!!!!!

35. site admin
        Posted August 21, 2013 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Whee are you people coming from? Was this written about on The Blaze?

36. Anna
        Posted August 21, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Regardless if this is a picture of Ambassador Stevens or an US Marine or a nameless Iranian man…he is a HUMAN!!!! And the absolute horror of his torture breaks my heart! NO ONE should EVER be subjected to such depravity!

37. Mama
        Posted August 22, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I, too, saw that picture on a friend’s Face Book timeline. It made me feel angry, sick and sad all at the same time. I didn’t know Ambassador Stevens, but I felt for his family who probably saw this picture of someone being brutalized and their loved one’s name attached to it. I read your blog. Thank You. It made me search for anything to debunk that awful photo. I found this very well-written article (on gq.com) about the last days of Chris Stevens’ life. The article opens with a very somber photo of 2 young girls in Arab dress, holding a picture of Ambassador Stevens and cups with candles in them. I braced myself for the worst. The article painted a picture of a man who loved the country he served and the people he was serving. Thank you for pointing those of us who wanted to know the truth in the right direction. Thanks.

38. nino
        Posted August 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Attack was known before it occurred. There was shoulder mounted surface to air missles being sold possibly black market sale. It may be possible that I fear to say Ambassador Stevens was involved in without permission or approval. This may of been what you call a mafia hit, to put it simply for you to understand.
        I do not know what happened to the thousand or so missles that were delivered incomspiciously in a rusty small ship. Do some research on this and you may find more info before the cia makes it disappear

39. Posted August 23, 2013 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Mark, you are a magnet for insanity.

40. Oliva
        Posted August 23, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Peter, you’re right. Insanity is rampant and self-propelled in the USA these days. What happens when we strip education funding over the decades and let screwballs decide what to teach and berate thinking and learning, etc. But hope is hardy (I hope).

41. EOS
        Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Oliva,

Please show us the reference that documents your claim that funding for education has been reduced over the decades.

42. EOS
        Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Be sure, when you’re looking at per-student spending, to correct for inflation as well.

44. EOS
        Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:37 am | Permalink

The real heartbreak is that, for the last 50 years at least, the achievement level of the average student is inversely proportional to the amount of funding provided.

Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Even taking inflation into account, it looks as though per-pupil spending is still increasing slightly.

Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Until just recently, that is.

It’s now dropping.

Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:41 am | Permalink

“Overall, public elementary and secondary school systems spent $595.1 billion in 2011, down 1.1 percent from 2010. It was the second year in a row that total expenditures fell. ”

48. EOS
        Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:45 am | Permalink

anon,

By the data you provided, supplied by NCES, from 1960 till 2009, the rate of increase for education is nearly 4 times higher than the rate of inflation.

49. EOS
        Posted August 23, 2013 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Anon,

Total expenditures are down. The number of students enrolled in public schools is down even more.

50. Maria
        Posted August 24, 2013 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Not sure, EOS, where you are going with your posts. Less kids in public schools, are you excluding charters? Are there just less kids as the Boomers age? Are kids, especially, some kids, needier than before, and possibly are being exploited by the system that collects money for them?

51. Posted August 24, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Country level expenditure data is useful, but might not reflect local expenditures. Some areas might be way up and others way down.

I don’t know much about education and local/state/federal spending, however.

What’s the situation in Michigan/washtenaw/Ypsi?

52. EOS
        Posted August 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Here’s a link to all the school districts in Michigan:

For the 2010-2011 school year, here’s what was spent per student

Ypsilanti $16,653
        Lincoln Consolidated $11,674
        Willow Run $13,137
        Ann Arbor $13,629
        Saline $11,589
        South Arbor Charter $8552
        Dexter $14,365
        Eastern Washtenaw Multicultural Academy $8799
        Milan $20,459
        Detroit $19,983

53. EOS
        Posted August 24, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

In 2010-2011 Ypsilanti Public Schools spent 24% more than the state average, per pupil, and less than 10% met the expectations of the MEAP test in any subject. Hope the new school district has a better plan.

54. EOS
        Posted August 24, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Of the districts listed on my short list, Saline had the best test scores on the MEAP.

55. EOS
        Posted August 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

All I’m saying is that academic achievement is not correlated with academic funding. We are spending record high amounts on public education and are producing extremely dismal results.

56. Posted August 24, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

It’s because they aren’t buying guns for all teachers. If they’d just invest in armament, test scores would improve.

57. Posted August 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

For me and many of the Libertarians/Conservatives with whom I share ideas this wasn’t an issue of “taking Obama down”. The fury came from the lack of accountability from the current administration. And worse than the lack of accountability was the rush to blame a completely unrelated pop-culture anti-Muslim film (through pop and culture may both be extremely generous based on the actual output). To live in a country where a multi-starred general calls a private citizen who is expressing his freedom of speech, no matter how vile we may find it, and tell that private citizen to cease and desist is neither acceptable, nor American. For the Scty of State to not understand that the devil is absolutely in the details and that EVERY FACT can make a difference in how we react to a terrorist act , including the fact that the US orchestrated, or at least facilitated, some pretty underhanded sh*t over there (arming the right/wrong people) and this was the price that we paid for getting involved in other countries’ political and religious issues. I’m so tired of hearing/reading, “BUT BUSH…” comments in response to the horrified reaction to our government’s response to the Benghazi attack. This has nothing to do with what happened under Bush or Obama. It has everything to do with how the entire event was mismanaged and redirected by the people who are supposed to work for all of us.

58. Will
        Posted August 24, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Carol, I assume you’re as outraged by what happened to Oscar Grant.

59. wobblie
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Since Public schools have privatized almost all services out side of the teachers, it would be interesting to know how much of the increase in per student spending has gone to our corp. masters to provide transportation, food services, janitorial services, administrative services etc. which were once provided by public employees. All of those services are dumped into “per pupil cost”. In addition it would be interesting to know what percentage of “public charter” school enrollment is made up of “special needs” children. I know that much of the money Ypsi spent beyond the per pupil allotment from the state came from grants to provide services to special need children. Since more and more of the money we spend on public education is siphoned off as profits for the privately owned service providers, I don’t understand the problem right wingers have with this trajectory.

60. EOS
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Employee costs make up approximately 85% of public school expenditures. Privatization of services has always reduced those costs. Competitive bidding ensures that privately owned service providers keep costs low yet still meet essential requirements. On the other hand, bureaucratic administrations and unionization of public employees work synergistically to escalate costs on a continuous basis, with no mechanism in place to limit expenditures, to the detriment of all taxpayers.

61. Robert
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

EOS, countries which haven’t sold their soul to some strict privatization ideology are kicking our asses on the world economic stage. That’s enough proof for any sane and sensible person to back away from these ridiculous absolutisms you like to proclaim.

62. EOS
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Which countries are thoose Robert?

63. Robert
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

The Scandinavian, Germanic speaking and some southeast Asian countries. One could argue Japan, China, and Russia to some degree as well. They all have much better long term planning, and investing strategies. Any other stupid questions, EOS? Would you like me to do your homework for you too?

64. Robert
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Oh, I forgot Canada and Australia.

65. Robert
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

See how easy that was, EOS? It’s called ‘answering a question’. You should try it sometime. You should also try this thing called self-examination. The people in your life would be grateful.

66. Posted August 25, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

The United States’ deeply decentralized educational system has long been a profound failure.

67. EOS
        Posted August 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

I’ve done my homework. Your list of countries who “kick our ass on the world economic stage” is absurd. Let’s look at some facts. Here’s the GDP’s of the coutries you listed as compared to the U.S.

U.S. $15.94 trillion per capitta $50,700
        China $12.6 trillion per capita $9,300 25% of the population doesn’t have access to good water, sanitation and are illiterate
        Japan $4,7 trillion per capita $36,900
        Germany $3.25 trillion per capita $39,700
        Russia $2.55 trillion per capita $18,000
        S. Korea $1.64 trillion per capita $32,800
        Canada $1.51 trillion per capita $43,400 (essentially part of the U.S. economy with 90% of its people living within 100 miles of U.S. border and NAFTA providing borderless trade)
        Australia $987 billion per capita $43,300
        Sweden $400 billion $41,900 per capita
        Norway $281 billion $55,900 per capita
        Finland $200.7 billion $37,000 per capita

The United States has the largest, most technologically advanced economy for the greatest niumber of people. In what stretch of the imagination can you claim any of these countries kick our ass economically?

68. Posted September 2, 2013 at 8:21 am | Permalink

The truth is that none of us were there for a 1st hand account of what happened. Obama lied, Bush lied, many before them lied and new liars are lining up for there shot at the Oval. We believe we want to be believe, see what we want to see and argue with each other about that which we really know nothing about. Left, right….reports and released documents, we all drink the cool-aid and we are all sheep. That’s where this government want us, not in the black and white but in the gray area. The truth….nobody posting here knows a damn thing or the truth.

69. Books Moore
        Posted September 4, 2013 at 2:35 am | Permalink

The definitive source of the image is here: http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias/internacional/argentina-tuvo-durante-democracia-un-centro-para-aprender-a-torturar_117834.html

It from Argentina.

70. mr b
        Posted September 5, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

The cattle prod pic is not Stevens. But to write that these men did the honorable thing is incorrect, a Lebanese newspaper confirmed the day after the attack that stevens was raped, dragged through the city before being murdered. Thats NOT a US source, which is censored. That was from a paper in Lebanon. Even other Arabic media outlets reported the same. Just cuz it was quashed in the US, didnt mean he died a peaceful death. These are a brutal people that dont go nicely on captives.

Not to mention theres still the question of how did these attackers know where the safe house was unless given inside info to that by a traitor?

71. Posted September 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I don’t believe your article Mark, on the niceness of the folks that allegedly took Ambassador Chris Stevens to a hospital following the attack at Benghazi. The folks that supposedly assisted Ambassador Stevens were in close proximity to the very attack, and during it. Therefore, they were not the pure, snowy white, rescuers depicted by you and others who wrote essentially your story. These folks were terrorists Mark; They were an extension of the same people who were right then in a gunbattle with the two, now dead, Navy SEALS on the roof of the embassy. The one and same people who killed and injured the remainder of the embassy employees. If they weren’t terrorists, Mark, they wouldn’t have been there. Because the only folks there that night were attempting to kill the embassy and employees.
        Decent, gentle people would not have been in the proximity of this attack, Mark. Those folks would have been at home, hoping to God these savages weren’t going to come to their house next and kill them too. Decent, gentle people, the rescuers of the world, do not go to an all out gun battle. Those kinds of folks want to be as far away as possible from this kind of fiery gun battle. These kind of folks want to protect their children, not bring them to a freaking gun battle to endanger themselves, and their family.
        I don’t know what happened to Ambassador Stevens Mark. Neither do you. But, I do know that based the standard m.o. of the savages that terrorists are would indicate that what your ‘friend’ showed you was a lot closer to the truth than what you just purported. These people are true savages. What do we know of them and their hatred for infidels – one of whom would be Ambassador Stevens. We know these savages have beheaded several Americans, burned bodies of those killed, cut the throat of Wall Street journalist Daniel Pearl, forcibly removed the eyes from two captured American soldiers who surrendered to them. So, would it be difficult for you to believe that the savages did exactly what your ‘friend’ showed you? It’s their m.o. Mark. Believe it.

72. Linda
        Posted September 11, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

To Robert: Ha, please re-read your comment. In other words, you don’t want to be exposed to the truth because then you would have to admit that everything you’ve been spewing and hearing about the president has been FALSE! lol

73. Linda
        Posted September 11, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

To roquer: This is a photo taken in 2009. It is NOT Ambassador Stevens.

74. Marie Jean
        Posted September 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Check out the information on this link regarding the misinformation and false photos regarding this matter. ” the photo we see could not have been Chris Stevens being tortured being tortured by Muslims because it was taken prior to the year 2009 and the Benghazi Consulate Attack that Stevens died in was a 2012 incident. Stevens reportedly died of smoke inhalation.”

75. Posted September 29, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

so I read the comments, funny its one side or the other, even when the fact is a photo taken 4 years ago, they come up with some BS to say it aint so, so many Obama haters so many lies, hey I don’t care for some of what our president does, but at least I take the time to research many sites to make up my own mind, and not jump on the hater train

76. Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

To all the jack wagons on here lets get down to the point here, a standing US diplomat was killed. an Ambassador has the power to enter into agreement and trieties with forien powers and the US is obligated to honor them. This man and some of his staff were killed on station. Military assest were told to stand down, high ranking officers were relieved over it. Obama knew what was going on, hilery also know because that the kind of stuff they wake you up over. they chose to let them die and that is unforgivable. I plan on doing a video about this on my site redonkulas.com this is a travisty . I am not a big fan of Obama I did not vote for him. A big boy decision was needed and he came up short. plan and simple. I welcome your comentry

77. Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this post. I was really upset when it popped up on my Facebook today – not just because it’s graphic, but because it’s patently false. This image is not Ambassador Stevens. This photo is from the 1980s, when Argentinian authorities systematically tortured and killed political dissidents (see: Argentina’s Dirty War). What’s more, these images have been online since at least 2004.

By all credible accounts (ex post facto AQAP posturing not withstanding), Stevens was not raped and tortured and dragged through the streets. Quite the opposite. “With the clearing of smoke, Ambassador Stevens’ rescuers found him within a room in the safe area of Villa C, did not know his identity, pulled him out through an egress window, and sought medical attention for him…. [Stevens] was brought to the emergency room by six civilians. The identities of these civilians are unknown at the time of this report, but to the best knowledge of the Board these were ‘good Samaritans.’”

The actual facts were sad enough without resorting to graphic disinformation.

Sources:
        http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/202446.pdf, Page 26

78. Mike Hope
        Posted October 22, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

It is amazing how those who have never served, never sacrificed, never worked, never given anything to anyone, can be so stupid and opinionated at the same time. Most of the drivel above is written by the radically ignorant, and provides more misinformation about “misinformation” than has ever been seen even on the far left media channels… You morons need to wake up, because I, and millions like me, are tired of paying for your FREE crap…

79. Mike Hope
        Posted October 22, 2013 at 9:46 am | Permalink

I’m sure my comment will be removed as this anti-American website/blog, or whatever it is called, seems to be “occupied” by idiots…

80. Posted October 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I am just letting u know the picture was just sent on my facebook

81. loser
        Posted October 26, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Gone

82. Posted October 28, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Sooooooo, 60 minutes just aired interviews after an long exhaustive search for the truth and found that this was organized and executed by extremist terrorists and that there was more than enough warning and time to avoid this from happening. The media and talking head kool aid drinkers who attacked those who told you what happened yet you refuse to believe the truth to your ideologic blindness.

83. jim
        Posted November 14, 2013 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Thanks Mark for writing this. I for one independently came to very same conclusions after research. As far as drinking the “Obama cool aid” the believers of the conservative propaganda should look at themselves and ask why am I so incredibly gullible.

84. mike
        Posted November 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Weird, you say in your article that the republicans are trying to make a big deal about this attack. Then you point out that embassies get attacked frequently, seven during Bush’s presidency. So if embassies are attacked frequently and Libya was in a state of hostility then why wasn’t their as much if not more diplomatic or military security protecting ambassador Stevens again? I think that’s what the republicans are actually asking as well as anyone else that is somewhat intelligent. Hey out happens all the time so let’s ignore communications which illustrate an unusual amount hostility towards an American presence? Doesn’t sound like incompetence to me at all…You’re proof any fool can write drivel.

85. Duke
        Posted November 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

That’s typical: use some obscure “right winger” media source(s) as gospel for ALL republicans, ALL conservatives, ALL libertarians or any and ALL other groups that oppose the socialists in power and their sheep. You are yet another bomb thrower with no credibility and sadly you will remain so. Get a clue dude because you suck at reality and what it means to be a true journalist. Think about it or are you bright enough for self analysis? … probably not.

86. Fran
        Posted November 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Despite the name or date or religious affiliation, political beliefs, or anything else… The fact IS THIS WAS SOME MOTHERS SON, a husband, brother or even a father, but more importantly A HUMAN BEING……and an ABSOLUTE ATROCITY COMITTED BY others who were obviously undeserving of being referred to as human…… And BLAME WHO U WANT, HE IS DEAD…… And in the ARMS OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST NOW WHERE HE WILL NEVER SUFFER AGAIN….. Could we hav done more to save this man, possibly, did our Government- NO….how could we, this administration cant even get a website up and running…. No i do not drink the koolaide, nor do i hav my head in the sand…. I hav my head in THE BIBLE……as our country’s leaders should be also….. I believe Winston Churchill said it best( and i know u will correct me if im wrong)…. “WAR IS HELL”….. And may the perpetrators of this horrible atrocity an others like it GO STRAIGHT TO HELL…. GOD BLESS AND COMFORT THIS MANS FAMILY….. And hold ALL ACCOUNTABLE IN ALL GOVERNMENTS!!!!

87. gil hurlbut
        Posted November 26, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Thanks for reporting this info. The chain letter just got to me.
        I have reported your article to Snopes.com along with noting the photo at
        “Photograph of alleged torture by Argentinian authorities in the 1980s”

88. david wesson
        Posted November 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

gil hurt butt, you think anybody gives a damn who you report to. You can report to Snopes,com or Snoopdog.com who gives a damn stupid ass. Im from Mississippi, we don’t back down from anything. Bring it on!!!!

89. Theadversary
        Posted November 27, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Seems that snopes disagrees with your categorical assertion that the Ambassador wasn’t raped. And why is it, as Snopes notes at the bottom of its article, that Obama won’t release the autopsy information? http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/stevens.asp

Finally, Gates is a moron. We have ready special ops forces on standby 24/7 and have had them for decades. It has been well documented that not only did the embassy call for such help, but that administration officials refused to allow the request to be granted (quibbles over the difference between “hold in place” at a location that was NOT being attacked and “stand down” notwithstanding). http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/09/19/Adm-Mullen-Denies-Stand-Down-Order-Given-Admits-Special-Ops-Told-to-Hold-in-Place

90. Posted December 21, 2013 at 7:43 am | Permalink

…. I would love to focus 100% of my anger directly on those individuals responsible for this attack …:

Sayyid Barry Buraq Hussayn bin Buraq Hussayn bin Hussayn Oogooboogoobama Samuel Doe Charles Taylor Frank Marshall Davis Soetoro and Missus Billy-Bubbah Blythe “Cli’ton,” you mean?

Go ahead and focus. It’s easy if you try ….

91. Posted January 1, 2014 at 1:36 am | Permalink

WHO IS THE MAN BEING TORTURED AND WHERE ? WHY IS THIS SAVAGRY IGNORED…. BECAUSE IT ISN’T CHRISTOPHER STEVENS ?

92. Flyingfingers
        Posted January 15, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

What difference does it make!? I wanna be president some day.

93. Anonymous II
        Posted January 16, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

can translate Span. > Eng. for “approximate” translation

94. DR Win
        Posted January 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Gotta love the attitude of those who are screaming the loudest about the attack. We are AMERICANS and no matter what we want to do, or where we want to do it, we should be invincible, invulnerable and supreme. It’s a big world, we are just one country in it, and yeah, the era when the good ‘ol American passport was a guarantee of safety and security is over. So get used to it. Now they are saying that Benghazi was “preventable.” So was World War II, if you look at it a certain way. So is every murder, accident and tragedy that ever occurred. But guess what? Stuff happens. I’ve worked at Embassies and been under attack at Embassies, and not even the US can send in a Marine Regiment every time it happens. And not even the “Big Stick” faction in the US can make everyone “fear our wrath.” Especially in the Arab world, where so many people want to be violent martyrs.

One question that no one seems to be asking is: what was the U.S. Ambassador doing 600 miles from the Embassy, in an otherwise bush-league consulate, surrounded by CIA? Sounds like a mission that was not entirely in keeping with the typical diplomatic/political assignment.

The rabid right needs to wake up, grow up, and start dealing in facts. This country would be a lot better for it. (And before some fool hurls the inevitable “liberal” label: my politics are somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan, but I am not dumb enough to think that today’s absurd version of “conservatism” and knee-jerk party-line politics is helping the country.)

95. Joe
        Posted January 21, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

As is typical of those who are so partisan they do not care about he facts (and that my friend is a two way street) you completely miss the point.

The point is they knew this was a terrorist attack, and they knew this fact very soon. They knew it was pre-planned and coordinated. Therefore it could not possibly be what they said it was.

That is all that matters: they tried to cover up what had happened, the reality, for political gain.

96. sara
        Posted February 1, 2014 at 12:12 am | Permalink

“Stevens was, as all of us who bothered to read the actual reports know” In light of all this government’s lying about what happened in Benghazi, what say you now? Frankly, I’m surprised you gave any of the “reports” by the gov’t or their lapdog media any credence in the first place. Now, whether this picture is or is not Ambassador Stevens, the truth is that he certainly shouldn’t be dead right now, nor the other three gentlemen who were purposefully left to DIE!

97. Noah
        Posted February 22, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Its called or referred to as Cognitive Dissonance when someone is provided with or shown facts to their face and they still wont accept it due to the fact that if they do accept the truth as the truth, then they will have to question their entire perception of life as they know it.

Why does explaining the truth, providing evidence or facts mean you are drinking Kool Aid or taking sides politically???

The side I take is the truth…

98. Noah
        Posted February 22, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

And Sara,

your a fucking idiot. Stevens was serving in a post conflict country in a post where he receives danger pay…. Are you fucking kidding me that he wouldnt be in any danger??? He was negotiating arms buy back deals so he could potentially arm insurgents in nearby Syria. What the fuck do yiu think the CIA does exactly??? Sell boy scout cookies to the neighbors???

Ive actually worked for the US State Dept providing Security for our Ambassador in Afghanistan. We rolled pretty deep and heavily armed to protect him and still the Embassy in Kabul has come under attack….

This wasn’t even an embassy or a consulate yet… It was a CIA Annex with a Safe House near by….

Those former Seals were killed and there to provide the Ambassador protection. Your lame assertion about he shouldnt have been killed no matter what is about the equivilant of naivety in assumin Police Officers while armed and the good guya should never get killed and lose their lives in the line of duty because you think so.

Welcome to the real world….

99. Kevin
        Posted March 19, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

The government issued a report today that the torture and rape were real. This article is propaganda.

100. Knox
        Posted March 19, 2014 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Do you have a link to the government report that was released today, Kevin?

101. EOS
        Posted March 19, 2014 at 10:03 am | Permalink

This was released several days ago. I skimmed it. I saw no mention of rape.

102. Meta
        Posted March 19, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

The Senate Select Committee’s Benghazi Report was released over a month ago, on January 15, and says nothing about Stevens being tortured and/or raped.

103. Posted March 20, 2014 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Like Hillary said, “What difference does it make”?

104. Captvin7@optonline.net
        Posted April 8, 2014 at 4:55 am | Permalink

It amazes me how white guilt still keeps this president popular. It’s rather obvious he is a failed president. He has done nothing but cause further demise to a country already in peril. Yet, the people still love him. It’s all white guilt. Everybody feels bad for the black man in 2014. Next on the docket is gonna be the 2016 election of the next Clinton. She will be voted into office for no reason other than she is a woman(sort of). Television and media has turned this generation into liberal lovers of everybody and everything. No accountability. They just vote people into office because they are other than white males. I love America but in a sick kind of way I like watching the people suffer as punishment for what they did at the poles. You asked for it, you got it.

105. Delbert
        Posted April 8, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Your article on Chris Stevens is not fact, it is opinion, even Snopes says that the claim is unsubstantiated yet you somehow believe you are an expert.

You also claim that Romney was claiming falsely that Obama had failed to call the attack an act of terrorism.

This is NOT false it is the truth and if you read Obama’s speech from the Rose Garden you will see that the only time he mentioned the word terrorism was in regards to the act committed on 9/11/02. Here is part of what he said. The first quote is the start of his speech, the next quot is where he mentioned terror.

“Yesterday, four of these extraordinary Americans were killed in an attack on our diplomatic post in Benghazi. Among those killed was our Ambassador, Chris Stevens, as well as Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith. We are still notifying the families of the others who were killed. And today, the American people stand united in holding the families of the four Americans in our thoughts and in our prayers.

Of course, yesterday was already a painful day for our nation as we marked the solemn memory of the 9/11 attacks.

No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.

Never did he mention that Benghazi was a terrorist act.

You must be one of the more ignorant liberals that think you opinion is fact and that if you twist a word it can mean anything that you want it to be

106. Posted April 8, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Are there news stories other than Benghazi? Because I can’t find them.

107. viki
        Posted April 9, 2014 at 1:57 am | Permalink

Now to the photograph itself and remember this is NOT a newly released photograph but a photograph now seen differently, because one main point in this photograph has been overlooked by all…until now that is. Remember reports by a Libyan doctor claimed Stevens died ‘at the consulate’ of “severe asphyxia,” sometimes known as smoke inhalation, but results of an autopsy done on Stevens’ body after it was returned to the US have NOT been made public to either prove or disprove that. And then known al-Qaeda terrorist Abdallah Dhu-al-Bajadin piped in claiming Stevens was killed by lethal injection ‘at the consulate’, and while some do NOT discard that as a possible cause of death that too has NOT been proven or disproved, again because our government has NOT released our US done autopsy results. But no matter as neither of those scenarios is the truth because Ambassador Stevens did NOT die at the Benghazi consulate…he died…NO he was MURDERED… after being taken very much ALIVE from the consulate and at the direct hands of the enemy…an enemy aided by our president…and here’s the proof…

Notice Ambassador Stevens being carried by the barbarians…notice his right arm hanging down limp…now notice his bent left arm up by his face trying to either protect his face, cover his eyes, or even wipe tears from his eyes, but guess what…dead men do NOT wipe tears from their eyes nor do they try to cover their faces…NO…AMBASSADOR STEVENS WAS ALIVE NOT DEAD FROM SMOKE INHALATION and NO crap that he died at the hospital…and NO nonsense that maybe rigor-mortise had set in to bend his arm because that takes hours to happen and the time frame for that just isn’t here. This man was NOT being taken to a hospital after death as claimed but was dragged ALIVE through the streets, raped, sodomized, brutalized, and murdered by these muslim bast*rds, and this is why NO official US autopsy reports have been released. This fact had and still has to be hidden at all costs for Stevens being alive at this point could very well blow Barack HUSSEIN Obama’s cover-ups of why that night in Benghazi happened.

Bottom line…our miserable muslim sympathizing president and his equally miserable former Secretary of State both NOT only LIED to us all about the reason for Benghazi, but also covered-up the cause of Ambassador Stevens’ death and everything relating to Benghazi. And that, I believe, is grounds for immediate arrest for treason. I found this ad