Inspired by the television news folks, who, every February, ratchet up the sensationalism to DEFCON 1 during sweeps week, and break out their best “Is your toothbrush covered in microscopic traces of feces?” story, I snatched a few squirting bath toys away from Alro this evening, after seeing a little bit of black scum leak out of one as he bit down on it, and got to work dissecting them. I don’t know that it’s deadly, but what I found is certainly gross. And, as nothing else I’ve tried seems to increase my readership, I thought that I’d give tabloid journalism a shot… So, BEWARE the squirty bath toy! You could be putting your beloved child in DANGER!
[note: For all I know, this moldy, accumulated soap scum is good for kids. Maybe it's an immunity-boosting super food. So don't throw your kids' toys out based on this post alone. I'm not a scientist. I didn't analyze this stuff. I just find the thought of my son ingesting black mold to be kind of icky. But, then again, I also don't let him drink kombucha.]