Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

It’s not very often that I wish I had a television, but, judging from this opening monologue, I really wish I’d been able to see the whole show. He just eviscerated people… As I don’t suspect he’ll ever be asked to host another award show, this might be your last chance to see him in action, so check it out.

This entry was posted in Art and Culture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Posted January 17, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

God bless the Brits and their balls. All of our awards shows should be hosted by people who don’t have to live and work here afterward.

2. Bob
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

I hate awards shows generally but made a point of watching his monologue. I even kept it on while doing some work until it ended, which I never do. The disapproval he received from Hollywood people throughout was awesome. I’ve never witnessed anything on television quite like it.

3. Ted
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

This calls for retribution. We should send Howard Stern over to England to do one of their big award shows.

4. Kim
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

The Golden Globes knew what they were in for. Here’s footage of Ricky on the same show last year.

5. Posted January 17, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Love it! Thanx for posting. I only like watching the end of awards shows when all of the chain smoking stars are chomping deliriously on gum, jonesing for their smoke.

6. Bob
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I caught Deniro’s speech as well, it was equally cringe-worthy and kind of strange.

Posted January 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Triumph the insult comic dog would also be a good choice for host, but I think he might have died.

8. Gene
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

His best line was his very, very last: “And I thank God…for making me an athiest.” Really, absolutely no one else would have the b*lls to say that.

9. Christine M
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I heard them talking about this today on the radio. They were all offended but I thought it was hilarious. I think these people all take themselves way too seriously, always patting each other on the back. they kind of deserve a bit of ripping. I heard him introduce Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, that was funny. Then Tom ripped him back, have a little humor, isn’t that your job?

10. Larry Seven Larry
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Tim Allen is a felon. There’s lots to make fun of. He did time in prison for having over a pound of cocaine and the intent to distribute. He got out after a few years, though, for snitching on 20+ other people, who are still doing time today. Great guy.

11. Larry Seven Larry
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Here’s the Tim Allen info.

12. Andy Ypsilanti
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

This reminds me of when they invited Steven Colbert to speak at the White House Press Dinner for Bush the lesser.

13. Posted January 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

If he hosted another awards show, I would totally tune in…it was great!

14. John18
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

It would have been better if he’d taken a shit on stage and then just walked out the front door.

15. DRich
        Posted January 17, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

You don’t have a tv?

16. Posted January 17, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Yeah, we have a TV, but it’s just for DVDs. We don’t have cable or an antenna. We’ve been like that for almost three years now, I think…. Would you like to contribute toward a cable fund, Dan?

17. Jules
        Posted January 18, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

That was all kinds of awesome. I hate awards shows in general and am kind of sick of Ricky, but wow, I really admire him after this.

Posted January 18, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

There was stuff that he had to cut from the opening. He want to come out dressed like Hitler.

19. TeacherPatti
        Posted January 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Larry Seven Larry–thanks for the reminder about Tim Allen. I couldn’t stand that little turd for the drug thing and because he’s not funny.

Mark, you can come and watch TV at my house any time you want! I even add a running commentary to most shows that, IMO, is quite witty.

20. Bob
        Posted January 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Wow, what did Tim Allen do to warrant such hatred? His show was a weak sitcom but he actually had a pretty good club act. He’s no George Carlin but Toy Story should earn him respect. I know some publicists who’ve worked with him on film events and some charity stuff. I’ve always heard he was one of the most non-asshole showbiz people working.

21. Posted January 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

I don’t know many people who still have TVs. YouTube clips are enough. Life is too short to spend it staring at the furniture!

22. Jules
        Posted January 19, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I used to wait on Tim Allen when I was a teller for Standard Federal in Birmingham, around 88, before he hit the BIG time. I did recognize him from standup and I think he’d done some HBO stuff by then. He used to wait for my window to free up, so I could handle his multiple accounts that he’d familarized me with. He was nice and respectful, unlike a lot of those rich assholes that came into our branch, slightly flirty but never inappropriately so. I liked him. He definitely had the charisma thing going on. One time, during a transaction, a machine made a funny noise and he very loudly cracked, “Okay, who cut the cheese? ” You could have heard a pin drop. I thought it was hilarious. His wife came in with him a few times. She was pretty much the opposite of him and boy, was she ever keeping an eye on him. Anyway. I was happy for him when he did well. I don’t give a flying fuck about the drug stuff. I’m not going to judge him on it.

23. Andy C
        Posted January 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

The Golden Globes is an ass kissing “look how great we are” pompous dog and pony show. I think it’s stupid and don’t under stand why they don’t just post the winners and send the “stars” their awards. But some people like this red carpet stuff and that why it on. To each their own.
        The issue here is the Golden Globes goes for the shock value, mainly to get press and get people talking about it, and make it into a roast. The Golden Globes knew exactly what he was gonna do and he did it well. Did he need to get personal? No. It was very mean spirited. I’m surprised he didn’t make fun of the gay kid from Glee too. Isn’t every one sick of shock TV yet? I really like Ricky Gervais but that was no place for his style of humor.

24. Mr. X
        Posted January 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

You surprise me, Andy. I didn’t know you were a hippie.

25. Bob
        Posted January 19, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Seems to me that a pompous, ass-kissing Hollywood awards show is exactly the appropriate place for Gervais’ style of humor. They need it. But having said that, as silly as show-biz awards shows are, they do serve a valuable purpose. The entertainment industry is one of the few remaining industries that is profitable and MADE IN AMERICA. Think how little use most of the world would have for the U.S. if it weren’t for American culture and entertainment. If all they had to go on was our foreign policy we would be super-fucked. Golden Globes and the Academy Awards are followed by people and press around the world.

26. Bob
        Posted January 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

and really, somebody should be making fun of the kids on Glee. That show sucks donkey and has to be one of the most over-praised pieces of entertainment in my lifetime.

27. Ypsiosaurus Wrecks
        Posted January 19, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

While most award shows are a gross orgy of self congratulation – Ricky at least made it entertaining by taking clever/sarcastic swipes some big egos. I only wish he would have thrown a few barbs toward Tim Allen for his drug dealing and Mark Wahlburg for his violent racism…