Are there any good local ghosts?

halloween-100-years-ago

As much time as I spend on this site talking about eating local food and supporting local businesses, and lambasting those who don’t, it strikes me as somewhat hypocritical that all of my favorite ghosts are in New England and the American South… Anyway, seeing as how it’s Halloween, this struck me as a good opportunity to discuss local hauntings. Are there any well-known ghosts in Ypsi? How about Ann Arbor? It seems like there might be, what with all the young coeds from Normal College who drown in the Huron, weighted down by their petticoats when their canoes capsized, and all the young men going off to fight in the Civil War. Surely we have a ghost or two walking the railroad tracks late at night, swinging lanterns, looking for their heads. And, if not, I say we go out and get us one. Ypsi needs a good local ghost that we can all rally behind.

[The photo above, taken over 100 years ago, is from National Geographic, but the inspiration for this post is 100% Shaggs.]

This entry was posted in Ann Arbor, Other, Ypsilanti and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 31, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Googled these and I’ve heard the one about the Gedde’s nurse, never seen her though I’ve driven down that road a bunch of times late at night.

Also, heard about the Michigan murders. There is a book about them I think.

2. KKT
        Posted October 31, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard mention of a ghost in the old S&H Green Stamps house.

3. KKT
        Posted October 31, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

OK, I found one on the web.

I lived in the Whitaker house, corner of Bemis and Whitaker rds in Ypsilanti mich, in 94 with family. it is said to be haunted by ms Whitaker, who is buried in the cemetery down the road. I myself, have seen her, so has my aunt that I lived with. Unexplained things happened in the house. Pictures flying across the room and breaking. 1800 style shoe prints in the newly finished hard wood floors. Doors opening and slamming shut on their own. I myself saw a ghostly figure standing in the window when I was upstairs doing homework. Objects would be missing from where you set them at. Spooky.
        Submitted by anonymous

4. Knox
        Posted November 1, 2010 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Maybe once Iggy dies, his spirit will come home to Ypsilanti.

5. Tommy
        Posted November 1, 2010 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Supposedly a ghost at the old Pickle Barrel restaurant in Willis.

6. Posted November 1, 2010 at 7:27 am | Permalink

It has always been interesting to me that so many Christians believe in ghosts, yet the Bible makes it pretty clear that we don’t stay here when we die.

Of course, I believe in neither. I do however, believe in the Weinachtsmann.

Posted November 1, 2010 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Local ghosts suck. You get much better value from franchised ghosts.

8. Tim T
        Posted November 1, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Walmart has the best ghosts. They’re old, bleached out, and slow moving. And they moan as the move. It’s just like in the movies, except they have oxygen tanks.

9. Christine M
        Posted November 1, 2010 at 8:40 am | Permalink

The Pickle Barrel is closed now isn’t it? We went to go there about a year ago and it was out of business. Did it reopen?

Never thought of saying to someone, when you die I hope you will haunt us. Just sayin’ seems odd to mention waiting for Iggy to die so he could come haunt us.

10. Mr. X
        Posted November 1, 2010 at 11:23 am | Permalink

The old Ypsi mental hospital grounds must be teaming with them.

11. James Mann
        Posted November 2, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

There is no lack of ghosts in Ypsilanti, in fact, just about every old house in the city is said to have a ghost or two or more. The Firehouse Musuem is said to be hundted, as well as the Ypsilanti Historical Museum. There are no doubt many stories to be told.