Tomorrow is Glenn Beck’s “I Have Some Hate” rally

We’ve talked about it before, but tomorrow is the big day. Tomorrow is the day that the great white crusader, Glenn Beck, the man who once famously said that Barack Obama, our first black President, has “a deep-seated hatred or white people,” will climb the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., with Sarah Palin at his side, and “reclaim the civil rights movement” before a legion of angry, terrified and pasty white FOX News viewers. It’s unclear as to what exactly he’ll say, on this, the 47th anniversary of day that Martin Luther King delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech, but I’m sure it will be every bit as brilliant, inspiring and historic. Here, in the meantime, is Jon Stewart’s take on the whole thing.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon – Thurs 11p / 10c
    I Have a Scheme
    www.thedailyshow.com
    Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

[Tonight’s post was brought to you by the Turn Off FOX campaign.]

This entry was posted in Civil Liberties, Media, Politics, Pop Culture and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Kevin P
        Posted August 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Anyone planning to attend?

2. notoneofthecoolkids
        Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

While watching this last night many evil thoughts came into my head and I kept saying, peace, not violence to myself to try and combat the raging anger inside of me. Then Beck said something about how he might be killed, I just couldn’t help but thinking, “I hope the leader of the Crips is watching this and calls for a hit on Beck.” Yep I really thought that, a couple of times.

3. Peter Larson
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:12 am | Permalink

Fortunately, he has banned signs to make sure that no one thinks him and his ilk to be racists.

4. Posted August 28, 2010 at 3:23 am | Permalink

We could make the Crips thing happen. We had “gang training” at my school (at our 7am teachers meetings no less) and the Crips are allied with the Folk Nation (sort of an umbrella organization, if you will, for a number of local gangs). Folk represent to the “right” side, using the six pointed star. Conversely, their rivals (People Nation, which allies with the Bloods) represents to the “left” side with the five pointed star. Therefore, if Beck shows up representin’ to the left with a five pointed star, the leaders of the Crips will know he is allied with the Peoples Nation and voila! There you go. Will the People Nation protect his fat lazy stanky ass? Hell no. Perhaps this act will even unite the gangs and bring peace to our inner cities so I don’t have to see bangers come to my school to recruit little kids. A girl can dream….

5. Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Yeah, I found it interesting that he banned signs, given how his whole schtick is about how those fucking Progressives are trying to control the good, hard working people of America. I guess Libertarianism has its limits… I wonder if people will be bringing their guns, though. Or does that just happen at Obama’s town hall meetings?

6. Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:13 am | Permalink

And I don’t know about the Crips and the Bloods, but it would be nice if God intervened with a lightening bolt. Or, if he doesn’t want to be so up front about it, maybe he could magically make a banana peel appear beneath Beck’s foot as he takes to the steps. I know it’s mean, and I shouldn’t have such thoughts as a Progressive, but I’d like to see him fall on his face today, or have some kind of Dead Zone type moment, in which he exposes himself.

7. Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Here, for those of you who didn’t get the Dead Zone reference, is the scene I had in mind… And I’m not suggesting that I hope someone takes a shot at him, and he lifts a baby to shield himself. I just mean it would be nice if there were a career ending moment in which he says or does something to reveal himself as the manipulative hate monger that he is.

8. Dirtgrain
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:23 am | Permalink

I was hoping few people would show up.

9. Dirtgrain
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Do you suppose there will be disagreements on head counts? I’m thinking he and his machine will exaggerate.

10. Bob
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:04 am | Permalink

I’m not suggesting anyone shoot the guy either, but if anyone ever deserved it…that would be Beck.

11. Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:07 am | Permalink

If signs are banned, then only criminals will have signs.

12. Peter Larson
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:17 am | Permalink

“And I don’t know about the Crips and the Bloods, but it would be nice if God intervened with a lightening bolt”

From the comments I see on the intraweb, God is as much of a bigot as the fleabaggers.

13. dragon
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Give me your frightened, your ignorant, your huddled fatsos…

14. brad
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Would you guys really want Beck to become some sort of martyr for the messed up “movement” he’s peddling?

15. Robert
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Looks like they have a pretty good turnout:

I don’t think anybody would ever take out Beck and I’m willing to bet $100 nobody does before the end of this year. Anybody else wanna throw in?

16. Bob
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I don’t see Beck becoming a martyr if he was bumped off. He has so little substance or personality that he would be forgotten pretty quickly. Problem is that some other peabrain would quickly take his place.

17. Peter larson
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I hate beck as well but wishing for his death doesn’t help. Honestly, it’s pretty juvenile. He’s just not that important.

18. Robert
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t wishing for it. I was looking to bet $100 against it, and asking others to join me in betting against it. I’m just really really confidnt he’ll last through the year.

And if we lose that bet and somebody does take him out, I wanna bet another $100 that the guy who replaces him lasts a year. And so on, and so on.

19. notoneofthecoolkids
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Hey I never said I wanted the “hit” to be successful! …just making a point about how I even struggle when it comes to Glen Beck, and I am all about non violence and education. It eats at me how he caters to the least educated and the angry. And as Jon Stewart always points out, Beck’s interpretation of history is always misleading. Dangerous.

20. EOS
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Watched it live on Facebook. It was incredible. Didn’t see or hear anything hateful until I logged onto this blog.

21. mSS
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Stop calling him a libertarian. That’s fucking stupid, and you know it, Mark.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

mSS, you can listen for yourself:

Now who’s fucking stupid?

Posted August 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Katie Couric: How would you define your brand of politics?

Glenn Beck: Libertarian.

Who’s fucking stupid now?

24. Dirtgrain
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Glenn Beck?

25. Mike Ambs
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

@mSS: uhm, calling him a *liberal* might be considered “fucking stupid”, but the man *is* a conserative with self-professed libertarian-leaning views. Considering that the term conserative is fairly meaningless today, I would say that of *all* the points you could have made with your comment, that’s a rather lame one to get all bent out shape on. I’m just saying.

26. Mike Ambs
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

@Edward: That was perfect :) mSS’s comment = total fail.

27. Posted August 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I’m just glad that someone had the courage to “reclaim” the civil rights movement from those thieving non-whites.

28. Posted August 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I liked this Facebook update: Today thousands of Americans are gathering in Washington DC for what appears to be the largest Weight Watchers meeting ever.

29. Bob
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

“He’s just not that important”
        I wish you were right. Thing is, he gets 1.6 to 2.2 million viewers EVERY freakin’ day. Plus radio, plus best selling books. Day in day out, he’s preaching his shitty message. It’s far too much exposure not to be somewhat important.

30. Brackinald Achery
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Clarence B. Jones, who served as King’s personal attorney and his speechwriter, said he believes King would not be offended by Beck’s rally but “pleased and honored” that a diverse group of people would come together, almost five decades later, to discuss the future of America.

Jones, now a visiting professor at Stanford University, said the Beck rally seemed to be tasteful and did not appear to distort King’s message, which included a recommitment to religious values.

Hahaha, I think Beck’s an opportunistic phony too, but some of you guys’ self-righteous moral hypocrisy is really on display in this thread.

31. Mark H.
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

BA — I think you seriously misread Mr. Clarence Jones’ words, overlooking his characteristic formal courtesy even when speaking to or about foes. Mr. Jones was, notably, a great lawyer, possessed of the ability to avoid unnecessary verbal fights.

32. Posted August 28, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Another good quote:

“I agree that Glenn Beck has the right to hold his rally on the same steps where MLK gave his historic speech, I just think he should hold it somewhere that’s less offensive to the civil rights movement.”

33. Felix
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Beck’s permit was for 300,000 people. An estimated 87,000 attended.

34. dragon
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

“You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.”

35. Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who had no idea about this “gathering” until I read this blog post. I already don’t watch Fox News but then not watching it appears to put me in the minority even among those who read this “left leaning” blog.

36. wetdolphinmissile
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Don’t hold your breath hoping for someone to take him “out”. Only the good (MLK) die young.
        Evil seems to linger on and on…

37. Brackinald Achery
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 8:42 am | Permalink

What a shock that the people you hold in derision are fighting back against you.

38. kjc
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Yeah I’ve seen some of those Tea Party signs. Derision would be an upgrade from those sick sentiments. But if Obama is Hitler, I suppose brave patriots must fight back.

39. Andy C
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I’m with mSS here. Just because he SAYS he’s Libertarian doesn’t mean he IS a Libertarian. He’s also trying to claim civil rights, so are civil rights are now how Glenn Beck defines them?

40. Brackinald Achery
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

The derision from the left towards “middle America” (or whatever you want to call them) preceded the signs by a few decades.

41. Peter larson
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Glenn beck would say he was a communist if it would make him money. It’s giving the man far too much credit to take anything he says seriously.

42. kjc
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

yeah, like so many people on the left, i grew up with the intolerance of “middle America”. it’s funny to watch how crazy people white people get when they’re in the minority.

43. Robert
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Fox News and EOS will estimate the crowd to be over a million. If they were talking about tonnage I’d agree.

On another note, I just called my “bookie” and bet five grand that Mark lives to see 2011.

44. Robert
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

…and I always thought we ALL hated white people, including us white people. I figured that was why we are always tanning.

45. wetdolphinmissile
        Posted August 29, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

You are too funny Robert!

46. Bigtime
        Posted August 30, 2010 at 1:04 am | Permalink

What does anyone’s weight have to do with their political views? There are so many other points to rip these folks on, but so goes the weak mind, I guess.

47. EOS
        Posted August 30, 2010 at 4:12 am | Permalink

There were 129,000+ watching with me on Facebook, as well as 3 hours of Live broadcast on CSpan. The rally ended with 250 religious leaders of all races on stage, locked arm and arm, singing praises to God.

Alveda King spoke, “…We are a family of faith, hope and love. And that’s why I’m here today. Glenn says there is one human race, I agree with him. We are not here to divide. I’m about unity. That’s why I’m here, and I want to honor my uncle today.”

Ann Arbor.com wrote “Thousands attended”. While Tea Party members cling to God and guns, the progressives cling to dishonest spin.

48. Peter Larson
        Posted August 30, 2010 at 5:40 am | Permalink

So fucking what?

49. Meta
        Posted August 30, 2010 at 10:42 am | Permalink

From Charles Blow in today’s New York Times.

Beck seems bent on appropriating the civil rights movement. In April, he read his audience the civil rights movement’s commitment card and then said, “Looks to me like the next phase of the 9/12 Project.” (9/12 is a “nonpolitical movement” started by Beck last year to “protect the greatest nation ever created.”) And Beck has said of this rally, “This is a moment, quite honestly, that I think we reclaim the civil rights movement.” Reclaim? From whom?

Beck wants to swaddle his movement in the cloth of the civil rights movement, a cloth soaked in the blood and tears of the innocent and oppressed, a cloth his divisiveness and self-aggrandizing threatens to defile.

In fact, to even insinuate that the president’s policies are in any way equivalent to the brutality of the Jim Crow South at the time of the civil rights movement is the highest order of insult, particularly to those who lived and suffered through it, as well as to those who live with its legacy. If Beck truly thinks these movements are comparable, I have some pictures of “strange fruit” I’d like for him to see.

More:

50. Robert
        Posted August 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Bigtime, I wasn’t attacking their political views. I don’t care about their political views. I was just making fun of them as I would any group of people. That’s what I do. I make fun of people. It’s my schtick. I do it in the same spirit that you call people weak minded. It’s simply to mock and insult.

I’m offended that you don’t think I could make fun of Tea Baggers on their other commonly shared characteristics.

Personally, I thought my crack about white people tanning because they hate their whiteness was a way better joke anyway.

51. Steph
        Posted August 30, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Stop talking like this. You’ll make Glenn cry.

52. Brackinald Achery
        Posted August 30, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

The tanning one, and the excessive training one in the other thread were both pretty funny.

53. Meta
        Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Some good news this Monday morning. Beck’s appeal may finally be waning.

54. Posted October 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I think it was likely just a poorly promoted event, with a price point somewhat out of reach of Beck’s demographic. I suspect that Beck still has his audience. At least, I think his ratings are still good… Speaking of Beck, I think I need to share this Donald Duck cartoon.

One Trackback

1. By Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear on October 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm

[...] the number of people who showed up at the nation’s capital this summer for Glenn Beck’s public reclamation of the American civil rights movement. I’d wanted to be there today, but chose instead to spend the day with my family in Kentucky, [...]