OK, so I guess it’s called yarn bombing

In the past three days, I’ve seen two local examples of what I think are knitted graffiti, or, to use the terminology of the vandals, “yarn bombing.” One was on the back deck of Ypsi’s Cafe Luwak. The other, featured in the following video clip, was on a fence along the Ypsi/Arbor corridor of Washtenaw Ave, right across from Whole Foods. I think it’s cool, but, personally, I’m more partial to the sewn vandalism of the Ypsi Tooth… Speaking of the Tooth, does anyone know what happened to her?

[If you know of other local instances of yarn bombing, please leave a comment with coordinates.]

This entry was posted in Ann Arbor, Art and Culture, Ypsilanti and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted July 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Before anyone says it, I know that the footage isn’t great. I had no time to plan. I was stopped in traffic when I saw it, and I decided to pull out my flip camera. Toward the end, though, there’s a closeup, which is OK.

2. Knox
        Posted July 7, 2010 at 6:46 am | Permalink

You shouldn’t have posted this. Now the guys from Gallery 555 will surely come to town and tear it out. Or maybe they only do that when the pieces appraise for $50,000 or more.

3. Posted July 7, 2010 at 7:52 am | Permalink

I believe there are still two pieces of my knit graffiti left in graffiti alley. Everytime i come to Ann Arbor I have left some artwork or knitwork in the alley.

4. Christine M
        Posted July 7, 2010 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Jealous of your flip camera. Just ate at Cafe Luwak yesterday, guess I missed it.

5. Westside Granny
        Posted July 7, 2010 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Best not yarn tag my turf, or there will be wicked hell to pay. My grannies is strapped, and we protect ours. Peace.

6. Kim
        Posted July 7, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I love this image I have in my head of rival granny gangs fighting with knitting needles over turf in Ann Arbor.

And, I like that the line between granny and hipster is eroding.

7. Annie
        Posted July 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I guess that everyone missed World Wide Knitting in Public Week – June 12 thru June 19. Some knitters covered the rock at Washtenaw & Hill in knitted pieces. We hope to make it an annual event.

8. Posted July 7, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

ps. forgot to mention I liked the video. I think the knit graff has improved the plain fence :)

Posted July 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Kids today are useless.
        Next they’ll be putting doilies on things.
        We need a generation that smashes windows.

10. Posted July 8, 2010 at 7:22 am | Permalink

My son lives in Ann Arbor now and says he saw some knit graff on two trees near the farmers market (near Kerrytown right?).
        Seems your town has some stealth knitters ;)

11. Knox
        Posted July 8, 2010 at 7:30 am | Permalink

These people should be hunted down and lashed Singapore style. Democracy cannot withstand such acts of terrorism.

12. Buy Art
        Posted July 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Mark – thank you for noticing our recent yarn bomb. There is more at the Farmers Market. Agreed that it is a bit sweet and pretty, but this is just the beginning – more attacks are planned that are in the realm of social/political commentary. Sometimes we just need things to make us smile. Your daughter is adorable. Buy Art

13. Posted July 11, 2010 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Kim – your comment made me think of Monty Python’s “Hell’s Grannies”.

14. scarlette
        Posted July 18, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

ahh you summer knitters.

one question;
        would you want to be forced to wear a sweater in 90 + degree heat for days/weeks on end?

i think not.

then why would another living want to?
        LEAVE TREES ALONE.
        they are beautiful enough already.

stick to inanimate objects.

every time i see a tree with a sweater on will be saved immediately.

nature needs no “tagging”. Recognize and respect.

15. Knox
        Posted January 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Incredible yarn bombing on Wall Street.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mark Maynard, dwinn74. dwinn74 said: I saw them in action: Yarn Bombers: http://bit.ly/bwPraz [...]

2. By Summer 2010 Shadow Art Fair live blog on July 10, 2010 at 8:53 am

[...] during the night, we’d suffered multiple terrorist attacks. Not only had the Brewery been yarn bombed, by a group called the Ypsi Fiber Liberation Front, but someone had released a giant spider in the [...]