The Shirtless Guttenberg Project

steve-5Back when I started this blog, about eight years ago now, I had this thing I called Project Whitney Lover. It was a pretty simple concept, as far as performance art goes. I just, during the course of my average day, would drop little references to Whitney Houston, leading people, over time, to the conclusion that I admired and loved the woman. It was something fun to do, working references to her into my conversations, and leaving her CDs around where people could see them. There was no big pay-off. I wasn’t building toward anything in particular. I just thought it would be interesting if people thought that I had this uncharacteristic fondness for the former pop icon.

guttenbergchestAnyway, in a similar vein, I decided, just for fun, to leave two shirtless photos of Steve Guttenberg up on my computer, for Linette to find. I’ll let you know what happens.

Speaking of Guttenberg, I think he’s now about halfway through his transformation into Mickey Rourke.

[note: The Shirtless Guttenberg Project is not to be confused with the Gutenberg Project, which is considerably less high-minded.]

This entry was posted in Art and Culture, Mark's Life, Pop Culture and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Jules
        Posted May 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

The Gute was on a hilarious episode of Party Down recently.

2. Robert
        Posted May 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Uh huh. Sure.

3. TeacherPatti
        Posted May 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I beg you to not forget about Robert Hayes, the poor man’s Steve Guttenberg.

4. Posted May 15, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

I thought that Steve Guttenberg was the poor man’s Steve Guttenberg.

And I’m not surprised to hear that he did Party Down, as I believe it’s written by the guy who did Veronica Mars, and Guttenberg played some kind of evil dude on that show. I don’t know if I’m remembering correctly, but I think he was an aspiring politician who owned a baseball team. I remember being shocked by his plastic surgery.

And, yeah, I expected that some of you wouldn’t believe me, perhaps thinking that I posted this in order to explain to my wife why I had photos of a shirtless Steve Guttenberg in a folder of my desktop marked “masturbation supplies.” But, no, that’s the case. She’s yet to stumble onto my Guttenberg shrine.

5. Posted May 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Those of you without cable, like me, can see that episode of Party Down online, at least for the time being.

6. dragon
        Posted May 15, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I once left a shit and semen soaked hanky right where my cellmate would find it. Man, that was hilarious, did I ever pull his leg.

7. Posted May 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I saw the title of this post and my first thought was that someone was hiring topless models to read great works of literature from the Gutenburg Project.

8. Wes
        Posted May 17, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Maybe a compromise is in order – topless women reading dialogue from Guttenberg’s films.

9. Muskan
        Posted April 22, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

My brother told me that Gutenberg got his awesome bod by pressing bibles. Is that true?

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] the Pauper and The Parent Trap. Alyssa’s dad, Roger (played by the man, the myth, the chest hair: Steve Guttenberg), is about to marry a conniving devil lady, but the two girls become friends and decide that [...]

2. […] recall the specifics, but, in recognition of the important work I’ve done on this blog over the past decade, a well respected member of the United Nations came forward several years ago and suggested that […]