The human centipede

cintepedeI joke around every now and then. Confronted by something I find completely objectionable in American culture, I say that the Taliban should win. But, watching the trailer for the Human Centipede, I really am left wondering if our culture might be better off dead.

And, yes, this is what I chose to write about tonight instead of the covering up of Iraqi civilian deaths and the blatant disregard for human life demonstrated by some West Virginia coal mine owners…. I blame beer.

This entry was posted in Art and Culture, Pop Culture and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted April 6, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

And, yeah, I think those images are amazing.

2. Posted April 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

thanks for the nightmares, mark!

3. Dan R
        Posted April 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I have no problem w/ anything that is “100% medically accurate”.

4. Aaron
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Mark, I know this is a little out of your jurisdiction, but have you seen what’s happening in Flint? There have been at least 70 cases of arson in the city since March 24th, when the mayor of Flint laid off a quarter of the fire department. Unfortunately it’s getting almost zero national coverage, and it’s not even getting much coverage in the rest of Michigan. http://saveflint.com/

5. Jules
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 6:55 am | Permalink

Jesus fucking Christ. And IFC is involved in this? Jesus fucking Christ.

6. 734
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:07 am | Permalink

If I’m not mistaken, this diagram illustrates something that Tiger Woods is known to be fond of.

7. Teaman
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:08 am | Permalink

See, this is what happens when we let gay people marry.

8. Hot Knuckle Lover
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:33 am | Permalink

The movie is actually a brilliant metaphor on the role of social networking sites (aka Facebook) in contemporary society. The mad scientist represents technology and the pressure to conform. The human centipede is a symbol of how we now receive and transfer information about our world.

If you watch the clip with that in mind, it makes way more sense.

9. Larry Seven Larry
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:39 am | Permalink

And here I thought that it was a metaphor for how modern life is like having your tongue sewn into someone else’s asshole.

10. TeacherPatti
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I’m with Jules–IFC?!?! The drive-in in hell shows a double feature of this & AntiChrist.
        Oy.

11. E Torro
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Somewhere, Prince Randian is spinning in his grave.

12. Ana Lurges
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 10:09 am | Permalink

I read somewhere that the writer/director drew 100 percent of his inspiration from this.

13. Posted April 7, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I so did not need to even think about seeing that, let alone see a portion of it. Thanks a fucking lot, Mark.

14. Woody Lefurge
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Ana, Great find! All of themes do seem to be emerging from that comic. I wonder if Mark is getting any royalties?

15. Robert
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I guess we know what we’ll be seeing at the next Shadow Art Fair.

16. Aardvark
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I’ve sat though a number of movie previews, and I just kept on thinking “Are people’s lives so dull and boring that this garbage is the only thing that gives them a thrill?”

17. HauntedChickenCoop
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

I like the whole spin on a surgeon doing anything he feels fit. But the images would have been better on an empty stomach.

And, I second the nomination of Aaron – whoever you are, yes, let’s save Flint.

18. Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

And the worst part is…. IT’S IN OBAMA’S HEALTH CARE BILL!!!

Don’t you wish you’d read it, now? He’s going to gather us up with his black army and turn us into human centipedes!!!

19. Lacy
        Posted April 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Well that was truly disgusting. Thank you for showing us that we’re reaching new lows… I, for one, promise to forgive you if you don’t remind us again in a couple years when the new shock movie requires infants and animal parts.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m finding myself nostalgic for the lost power of communal shunning.

20. kez
        Posted April 9, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

i read about this film about six months ago, it will be released in US at the end of April.

21. Snarz
        Posted April 13, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I don’t think that there’s a word in English that describes what’s going on in my pants right now.

22. sue
        Posted November 21, 2012 at 1:12 am | Permalink

hey teaman. fuck you buddy.